- 9 Highlights in 8 days: Havana, Pinar del Río, Viñales, Cueva del Indio, Cayo Jutias, Valle Ancón, Cueva de los Portales, Soroa, Las Terrazas
- 5 nights in hotels with a 2-3* standard, 2 nights in a private accommodation
- 5x breakfast, 5x lunch, 5x dinner
- qualified English-speaking tour guide
- many included activities, for example city-tour and rum-museum, visit of a tobacco factory, cave visits etc.
- from £ 950
You want to be active during your vacation instead of only relaxing on the beach? During this 8-day cycling tour of western Cuba, you'll experience the island’s natural beauty and some of its most compelling attractions. Vibrant, urban Havana and rural Pinar de Rio are the main places you'll visit on your trip. In between these big attractions we'll take you to explore national parks, beautiful beaches, and historic locations made famous during The Revolution. More information you can find in our detailed intinerary.
Western Cuba is a relatively flat, green, primarily agricultural region. Travelling around Cuba couldn’t be easier, as the temperate weather and smooth terrain make this side of the island ideal for cycling. The roads in this region rarely have cars on them so you can expect to be riding alongside other cyclists and locals driving ox-carts and riding horses.
Below you’ll find the day-by-day breakdown for our Cuba by Bike tour.
- Largest Metropolis in The Caribbean
- Impressive Colonial Center
- El Malecon, La Habana waterfront
- Impressive Limestone Formations
- Picturesque and Legendary Tobacco Plantations
- One of Cuba's Most Beautiful Landscapes
- Called 'Cuba's Rainbow'
- Soroa Orchid Garden
- Picturesque Waterfall
Today you will arrive in the lovely Havana. We can arrange a transfer for you to your hotel (optional) or you can make your own arrangements.
Hotel in Havana, 4* Standard
After breakfast, at 8:30 am, you will have a welcome meeting with your tour guide. You will get the bikes from the local bicycle factory. Afterwards you will depart for Pinar del Río, the famous tobacco region in Western Cuba, this transfer is organized by bus. You will get to know Pinar del Rio where you will visit a tobacco factory and take a look around the town. Now it is time to prepare the bikes for the first stage of the day. You will continue to the Viñales Valley, one of the most attractive natural landscapes on the island. Here, the legendary Cuban tobacco grows between the crags and rocks of the steep cliffs. After lunch in a typical restaurant and a short rest, you will continue the way by bike. You will also visit the Mogotes and the Cueva del Indio, a 90 meter high underground cave.
Estimated cycling distance: 10km
Casa Particular in Viñales Breakfast, Lunch
Today you will cycle to Cayo Jutias, a secluded sandy beach. The tour starts after breakfast. Your ride takes you through the Sierra de Oreganos, a meandering mountain range to the northwest of Havana. Cayo Jutías is a small island attached to mainland Cuba by a man-made causeway – cycling over this causeway is truly spectacular! Once there, you will have lunch by the beach, and later you can hire a boat or swim in the beautiful sea. Afterwards, you can either take the bus or cycle back to Viñales.
Estimated cycling distance: 55km
Casa Particular in Viñales Lunch
On today’s ride you will take the Jagua Vieja Road to Palma in the Ancón Valley, a 30 km tour through quaint landscapes of untouched valleys. En route you will have the option to visit a lodge where Fidel Castro held secret meetings during the Cuban Revolution. You will have a picnic lunch in the lush valley before continuing to your next destination: Hotel Villa Aguas Claras, which is nestled in idyllic surroundings, perfect for a short hike in the evening.
Estimated cycling distance: 30km
Hotel Aguas Claras Lunch, Dinner
After breakfast you will be driven to Cueva de los Portales. This beautiful area was the hideout that Che Guevera used during the '62 standoff with Kennedy. From here you will cycle to Soroa via the Carretera Central.The route takes you through charming, rural West Cuban towns. We highly recommend that you stop and visit the famous Orchid garden in Soroa (optional) where you can see over 700 varieties of this delicate flower.
Estimated cycling distance: 45km
Villa Soroa Breakfast, Dinner
After breakfast you'll journey to the Las Terrazas community and nature reserve in the Sierra Rosario mountains. The 25 000 ha rainforest surrounding the community is now a UNESCO world heritage site. The residents of Las Terrazas make their living in forestry and ecotourism. As part of your pastoral experience we'll stop and have lunch at a local farmhouse. Spend the night at the magnificent Hotel Moka. This hotel is built in harmony with the landscape and has remarkable living trees integrated into the structure (to save them from being cut down).
Estimated cycling distance: 20km
Villa Soroa Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
In the morning you will return to Havana. Your guide will accompany you on a tour through the narrow streets of Old Havana giving you a final impression of old city's Spanish-Andalusian architecture, framed by the tropical sun. Your tour ends with a visit to the Havana Club Rum Museum, this is a great place to pick up some souvenirs or drink a cocktail! You will also have lunch in the old part of the city.
4* Hotel in Havana Breakfast, Lunch
It’s time to bid farewell to vibrant Cuba. We can drive you to the airport if you would like (optional) or you can arrange your own transportation. We would be delighted to help you extend your stay in Cuba and book more nights for you with one of our add-ons if you’re still not quite ready to head home. See you next time!
- 5 nights in hotels with a 2-4* standard
- 2 nights in Casa Particulares*
- 5x breakfast, 5x lunch, 3x dinner
- Visit of the tobacco factory in Pinar del Rio
- Visit of the Cueva del Indio and Cueva de los Portales
- Citytour in Pinar del Rio and Havana
- Visit of the Havana Club museum incl. rum tasting
- All described transfers in air-conditioned vehicles
- Qualified English-speaking tour guide
- Bike rental
- Bicycle and luggage transportation
- International flight to/from Cuba
- Transfers in/out: booking available on request
- Cuba Entry card (tourist visa): booking available on request
- Optional offers/activities or services
- Travel Insurance
- Tips and gratuities
- Helmets and gloves
- *Casas Particulares are private houses of Cuban locals, who offer rooms to tourists. On request they are happy to cater you with a delicious breakfast (5-6 CUC) or even a lunch and dinner (10-12 CUC each). Let them know at your arrival.
- We guarantee the operation of every group with one booked client
- Maximum group size: 16 people
- Visa and vaccination requirements and general information about country and people of Cuba
- Solo travellers can request a room shared room with another person of the same sex
- If we can't find another solo traveller who wants to share a room, the single room supplement needs to be paid
- Information about our bike tours, e.g. about bikes and equipment
- If you want to book a domestic flight within Cuba, we are happy to support you
- Our recommendation: Bring suitable clothes for biking and some snacks with you
With click on "continue" you can book this tour or send us a non-binding request
- Cuba Entry Card (tourist visa): £ 23
- Transfer IN/OUT optional:
- Havana Airport - Havana Hotel
- ONE WAY Price per transfer: £ 30 (1-3pax); £ 39 (4-6pax)